Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Tools of Raw Feeding


A freezer, either a chest freezer, or an upright, so you can buy and store meat in bulk and shop sales, have more room for hunted meats etc.  You don't have to buy them new, we bought both of our small chest freezers (5 and 7 cubic ft) off of Craigslist for under 100.00 total and they both have been working great. 

The indoor kitchen items include: a kitchen scale (digital is nice), cutting knives, meat cleaver, a pair of kitchen sheers, latex gloves (personal preference, I like to use them when I'm butchering a lot of meat at once so I don't have to wash my hands as much and touch so much raw meat or if I have a cut on my hand etc.), nice large cutting board (one with a rim around the edge is nice to keep meat juices from running all over the counter), large mixing bowl to defrost meat in the fridge with to keep it separated, plastic food containers or bags to portion out meals and then freeze them and lastly ice cube trays to portion and freeze organs, tripe, etc. because you feed less of these and just add one cube to a meal as needed

Cleaning products can be another important tool/part of raw feeding.  I usually use Seventh generation disinfectant spray, or vinegar/baking soda.  I've read of others that use GSE (grapefruit extract), or other natural cleaners.  Obviously if you feel comfortable using bleach or other commercial chemical cleaners, it's certainly an option.  I do wash their dog bowls in the dishwasher to sanitize them, along with any other dishes, knives, cutting boards etc.

One of my favorite cleaning tools is the Lysol hands free soap dispenser (7.00).  It's so nice when your hands are gooky, just to stick them under the sensor for soap.